Pet Insurance Blog

Friday November 7, 2014

Fiona's Mushroom Misfortune

11092014_D_Blanchard.jpg

“I came home from training classes with two of my German Shepherds and another, Fiona, was laying in the hallway. I noticed Fiona didn’t get up as she usually would when we passed. She was lethargic and glassy-eyed with a very high heart rate. Apparently, Fiona had gotten into some mushroom residue left from when the lawn was mowed earlier in the day. I rushed her to the emergency veterinary hospital immediately.  She ended up vomiting a tremendous amount of grass and mushroom clumps, and her liver enzymes were very high. She returned to her normal self after a couple of days of IV therapy and medication.” –Deacon W., Bakersfield, CA

We'd love to hear if we've helped your pet. Share your story, and it may be featured on our blog.


Friday October 31, 2014

Customer Story: Rhys Snacked on Joint Supplements

iStock_000028085314Medium.jpg

“We left the house, and our dog Rhys got hold of a brand new, 200-count tub of joint supplements. He ripped off the outer plastic cover, opened the lid, dragged it through the doggie door and devoured it in the yard. Luckily, we returned in time to stop him from consuming all of it. We went straight to our veterinarian’s office, where they called poison control. They also performed two liver profiles and induced vomiting.. We now make sure to doggie-proof the house when we leave.” – Madeline D., Fort Collins, CO

We'd love to hear if we've helped your pet. Share your story, and it may be featured on our blog.


Monday October 13, 2014

Pet First-Aid Prep

10132014.jpg

Do you know what to do if your pet has an accident? These tips can help you be better prepared.

Set a plan – Ask your vet about an emergency protocol, especially if your clinic isn’t available 24/7.
Make a kit – Have a pet first-aid kit ready with gauze, non-stick bandage pads and tape, saline eye flush and other useful items.
Be careful – Handle an injured pet with caution. Even the sweetest dog or cat can act out when hurt. And try to stay calm, so you can think clearly and avoid upsetting your pet even more.

For more advice on what to do in an emergency, visit 101 Things You Didn’t Know Could Harm Your Pet.


Friday September 19, 2014

Customer Story: Jack Survives House Fire

CSS_09212014.JPG

“I was out of town when my house caught fire, and my neighbor had to break down the door to rescue my dog, Jack. My poor dog ran out of the house with smoke billowing behind him and buried his nose in the snow. 

Jack spent a week in the hospital followed by two months of oxygen therapy, but he is doing better. Something like this really helps you appreciate ASPCA Pet Health Insurance! My plan has been vital to helping us manage the medical bills.” –Patrick L., Brunswick, ME

We'd love to hear if we've helped your pet. Share your story and it may be featured on our blog.


Friday September 12, 2014

Customer Story: Arturo Ingested Gopher Bait

D_Stout.jpg

“My husband buried gopher bait out in the backyard. Later on, he noticed that one of our dogs had been digging around where he buried the bait. We figured by the size of the hole that it had to have been Arturo, our Miniature Australian Shepherd, rather than our Lab. I took Arturo straight to our veterinarian's office, knowing he had an ASPCA Pet Health Insurance plan. If I had waited, I would not have seen any symptoms for 72 hours and by then it would have been too late. The veterinarian induced vomiting and found a glow to it, meaning that Arturo had definitely ingested the gopher bait. The veterinarian administered charcoal to Arturo several times over a 24-hour period, and my dog is now back to his rambunctious self.” Clarissa D., Red Bluff, CA

We'd love to hear if we've helped your pet. Share your story and it may be featured on our blog.