"Theo, our beloved Puggle (Beagle/Pug mix), decided to chew on a bottle of allergy medication when he was 8 months old. We weren't sure how many pills he ingested (none were left in the bottle), but it was probably 20 to 30. We took him to the veterinarian who consulted with the ASPCA's Animal Poison Control Center. Their instructions were to induce vomiting, administer charcoal, and monitor Theo — all of which added up to a big bill. I'm glad we decided to get pet insurance from the get-go!"
— Mike L., Durham, NC
March 18 to 24 is National Poison Prevention Week. Here are a few tips to keep your pet safe:
• Be aware of harmful foods like avocados, raisins, chocolate, and coffee.
• Store human medications safely — not on low night tables or counters.
• Make sure toxic plants like tulips, lilies, and azaleas are out of reach.
If your pet ingests something poisonous, the ASPCA's Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) can help at 1-888-426-4435. A $65 consulting fee may apply, but a portion of that charge is covered by your plan.
Learn more about the APCC and get a free pet safety pack at the ASPCA's website.
Last year, the ASPCA® Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) received 8,000 calls from pet parents with questions about potentially poisonous plants and flowers. To help, the ASPCA experts have the following guidelines for pet parents to follow when decorating with holiday plants this season.
• Flowers such as lilies may cause kidney failure in cats if eaten. Also, while roses are not toxic, the stem’s prickly thorns could be harmful if your pets get a hold of them.
• The more traditional plants such as holly and mistletoe can be dangerous for felines and dogs alike, causing gastrointestinal upset or, in rare cases with mistletoe, cardiovascular issues. Instead, try non-toxic decorations like wood, fabric or pinecones.
• Christmas tree water likely contains fertilizers and bacteria, so your pets could suffer from an upset stomach if they drink it.
• Finally, a long-held holiday myth suggests that the poinsettia plant is toxic to pets. In reality, poinsettias cause only mild to moderate gastrointestinal irritation. Keeping this plant out of your pets’ reach is still a good idea, but there’s no need to get rid of it altogether.
If any of your pets ingest something hazardous, the APCC can help at 1-888-426-4435. A $65 consultation fee may apply, 80% of which is covered by ASPCA Pet Health Insurance.