It’s National Poison Prevention Week, so it’s a great time to take steps to protect your pet in case of an emergency.
In the event that your pet ingests a hazardous substance, you may notice symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst, lethargy, trouble breathing, or seizures.
Here are some pointers to follow if your pet is ill:
• Stay calm, and don’t try to induce vomiting on your own. It may not be necessary, and you could risk injuring yourself or your pet.
• Get help by calling your veterinarian or the ASPCA®’s Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) at 1-888-426-4435. The APCC may charge a $65 consultation fee, 80% of which is covered by ASPCA Pet Health Insurance.
• Have information ready, like your pet’s age, breed, what they were exposed to, when it happened, and any container or packaging information.
Also, a pet first-aid kit can come in handy for following treatment instructions from your veterinarian or the APCC.1
It should include hydrogen peroxide with 3% USP to induce vomiting, a large syringe to administer it, saline eye solution and artificial tear gel to lubricate eyes after flushing, and a mild grease-cutting dishwashing liquid to wash contaminated fur.
But remember never to treat your pets without consulting a veterinarian first.
To get more tips and information on pet poison prevention, visit the APCC online.
1 This blog entry is not intended to provide advice on individual pet health or behavioral matters or to substitute for consultation with a veterinary doctor.