Help make sure Halloween isn’t a scary time for your pet by keeping these tips in mind.
• Candy – Treats are everywhere this time of year, and many can be toxic to pets. Keep bowls of candy out of reach.
• Costumes – Don’t dress your pet up if he or she dislikes it. If your pet doesn’t mind, be sure the costume is comfortable and safe.
• Candles – Avoid using candles as decorations or in jack-o-lanterns. Pets can knock them over, get burned, or start a fire.
• Collar – Be careful your pet doesn’t get out when you open the door, but if he or she does, a collar with ID tag and/or microchip can be very helpful.
Read more Halloween safety tips at the ASPCA’s website.
Autumn is here! With temperatures dropping, you may be prepping your car for icy weather and stocking up on cold remedies. Therefore, while you get ready for the change in seasons, here are a few things to keep in mind to help your pets stay safe.
Antifreeze and pets don’t mix.
Your pet may be inclined to lick up this sweet tasting but toxic chemical. Check the ground for spills after you use antifreeze, and store it safely out of reach.
Use rodenticides carefully.
Rodenticides lure mice and rats, but they can also attract your pet. Read directions carefully and take precautions to keep your pet safe from these chemicals.
Candy is a ‘no-no.’
Halloween candy and its wrappings can make your pet sick if ingested. Also, while jack-o-lanterns and maize are relatively non-toxic, they can upset your pet’s tummy.
Human medications can be harmful.
They topped the ASPCA’s list of common hazards for the past few years. Be careful—your pet can grab a bottle off a counter or eat pills dropped on the floor.
If your pet does ingest poison, the ASPCA® Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) can help at 1-888-426-4435. A $65 consultation fee may apply, 80% of which is covered by ASPCA Pet Health Insurance. If you have any questions about your coverage, you can view your plan at the Member Center or call 1-866-204-6764.