Keeping your pets safe on Halloween doesn’t have to be tricky.
Our friends at the ASPCA® offer these 5 tips to help pet parents keep their pets safe while celebrating this October. If your pet does ingest something poisonous, the ASPCA® Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) can help at 1-888-426-4435. A $65 consultation fee may apply, 80% of which is covered by ASPCA Pet Health Insurance.
Tip #1: No Sweets for Your Sweetie.
Several popular Halloween treats are toxic to pets, such as candies containing the artificial sweetener xylitol and chocolate, especially baker’s and dark chocolate. Symptoms of chocolate ingestion may include vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, increased thirst and urination, heart rhythm abnormalities, and even seizures.
Tip #2: Watch out for those wrappers.
Cats love to play with candy wrappers, but ingesting aluminum foil or cellophane can cause intestinal blockage and vomiting.
Tip #3: Careful with costumes!
If you dress up your pet for Halloween, make sure the costume does not limit your pet’s ability to move, hear, see, breathe or drink. A smart alternative is a simple, festive Halloween bandana.
Tip #4: Decorations can be dangerous.
Re-think putting candles in Jack-O-Lanterns. Pets can easily knock them over and start a fire. Also, prevent your pets from having access to wires and cords from holiday decorations. If chewed, a wire can damage your pet’s mouth or deliver a potentially lethal electrical shock.
Tip #5: Trick-or-treating is for kids, not pets.
During trick-or-treating hours, it is best to keep pets in a room away from your front door or else they may escape during the flurry of activity. Make sure your pet is wearing a collar with tags and/or is microchipped.