Halloween is right around the corner and do we have some scary claims to share with you! Before you start shaking in your boots, we want to let you know that all these stories have happy endings. But, it is still best to beware this All Hallows Eve so that your pet doesn’t end up in a similar sticky situation!
1. One Halloween night, a 4-year-old Labradoodle ate 20 small bags of M&Ms—wrappers and all! His pet parents rushed him to the veterinarian, where he luckily vomited the chocolate and wrapper remnants later that night without adverse effects.
2. Just last October we received a claim for a dog who ingested a clump of fall leaves. The leaves created a blockage, and the dog needed surgery to remove them. The total veterinary bill for this incident was nearly $2,800. That’s a lot of bones!
3. Last year, we received claims for pets who swallowed items like tennis balls, socks, bones, string, corn cobs, pacifiers, pillows, pieces of plastic, rocks, coins, a welcome mat, dog toys, gardening gloves and a hairbrush! We wonder if they are dressing as the Hungry Hungry Hippos this Oct. 31.
This Halloween, or any time of year, it’s good to be prepared for the unexpected with pet insurance. ASPCA Pet Health Insurance can help you afford the quality veterinary care your pet needs. After all, you have enough to worry about when your pet is hurt or sick than how you're going to pay the bills.
If your pet ingests a harmful substance, you can call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) at 1-888-426-4435. Calls can include a $65 consultation fee, 90% of which is covered by ASPCA Pet Health Insurance plans.
The APCC reported that they see a 39% increase in calls involving chocolate exposures in the week surrounding Halloween, compared to the rest of the year.
They also typically see a threefold increase in calls about glow sticks and glow jewelry in the week surrounding Halloween. Luckily, these items are considered to be a low risk for toxicity!