“My dog, Queenie, was bitten twice by a rattlesnake last year. She almost did not make it. Through the grace of God and help from my ASPCA Pet Health Insurance plan, she is still with me and still my one true love. Thank you ASPCA Pet Health Insurance!"
—Kara C., Santa Fe, N.M.
Photo Friday is a weekly column that showcases photos we receive from loving ASPCA Pet Health Insurance customers of their pets. If you want to see your pet featured, please email me!
Human medications rank No. 1 among pet toxins as the most common cause for calls to the ASPCA®’s Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) for the third consecutive year, according to a list published by the ASPCA.
The APCC received more than 167,000 calls in 2010 concerning pets exposed to potentially hazardous substances. About 25% of those calls were for pets who accidentally consumed human medications. The biggest culprits in this category include ibuprofen, aspirin, acetaminophen, antidepressants and ADHD medications. Often, mishaps like this occur when pets grab an interesting looking bottle off a counter or eat pills dropped on the floor.
Insecticides, rodenticides, people food that’s unsafe for pets and veterinary medications were also top causes for calls to the APCC last year. For the complete list of top pet toxins, visit the ASPCA website.
Remember, if your pet ingests something hazardous, the ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control Center can help at 1-888-426-4435. A $65 consultation fee may apply, 80% of which is covered by ASPCA Pet Health Insurance. If you have any questions about your coverage, you can view your plan at the Member Center or call 1-866-204-6764.
Later this month, we’ll share tips to keep your pets safe in honor of National Poison Prevention Week, March 20 to 26.