Pets are becoming an integral part of wedding ceremonies for deeply devoted pet parents across the country, and many more cannot imagine leaving their furry pals at home while whisking away on honeymoon. It is for these faithful folks that we’ve teamed up with our friends at GoPetFriendly.com for a list of the top pet-friendly vacation spots.
We’ve also tossed in two hidden gems that double as great spots for a destination wedding!
10. Rapid City, S.D. – Tropical beaches may be the first thing that comes to mind for many people when discussing honeymoons, but camping trumps this white sand beach dream for many dog lovers. And, it’s for those people that we recommend the Black Hills.
9. Savannah, Ga. – Nestled on the South Carolina-Georgia line, Savannah’s 22 parks/squares and quaint riverfront are perfect for strolling leash-in-hand-in-hand. The pedestrian-only City Market is bustling with life, from local artists to restaurants and the like.
8. Jackson, Wyo. - America’s least populous state happens to be home to one of it’s most beautiful national parks. The Grand Tetons is ideal for any pair of pet lovers looking to get away from it all after the excitement a wedding brings.
7. Geneva, N.Y. – At the top tip of Seneca Lake, the western-most member of the Finger Lakes, sits the college town of Geneva. Grab a local craft brew or glass of wine off the Seneca Lake Wine Trail and cuddle up on the banks of the calming waters of this renowned region.
6. St. Augustine, Fla. – The oldest city in the United States features a couple prime honeymoon must-haves: beaches and beautiful weather. A unique shortlist addition for any couple with their whole future ahead of them, the Fountain of Youth!
5. Portland, Ore. – The locals may advocate to “Keep Portland Weird,” but we would like to add a line about staying pet-friendly, too. In addition to the sights and sounds of this inland Pacific Coast city, there’s plenty of nature to explore.
4. Austin, Texas – Say ‘Austin’ and someone will inevitably respond with ‘SXSW’, but there’s so much more to this capital city. For instance, businesses on Rainy Street encourage canine companions. There’s even a fenced dog park in one of the beer gardens!
3. Victoria, B.C. – Simply, a place so lovely our pals at GoPetFriendly.com had a hard time putting it into words. Check out their photo tour to see what we mean. Learn what its like to cross the northern border with your pet here.
2. Provincetown, Mass. – Looking to make once-in-a-lifetime memories? Check out the dog-friendly whale and dolphin watching excursions setting sail right off the tip of Cape Cod. The beaches even offer off-leash hours for those looking to show off their doggy paddle.
1. Sonoma, Calif. – So many sites on our list tout beautiful views, unique lodgings and a variety of activities, but the real standout for us is near the heart of California’s Wine Country. Sonoma wineries host events especially for dogs and many have a stock of treats right next to the wine behind the bar.
- Carmel, Calif. – Halfway up the California coast and just a stone’s throw from Pebble Beach is Holman Ranch. Vineyards, views and away from the noise of a big city, this venue comes highly recommended by some of our four-legged friends.
- Asheville, N. C. – Looking for a historic locale with old world charm? Check out the Biltmore Estate! Not only are the grounds of this French-style chateau dog-friendly, but kennels available so pet parents can explore the grounds while their pals take a nap.
Before you hit the road, get prepared with help from these tips for your traveling with your dog! Also, don’t forget pets with ASPCA Pet Health Insurance plans can visit any licensed veterinarian in the US or Canada. Use our Vet Clinic Finder to find one near you.