Here are three things you can do to make holiday travels with your pet a little easier for both of you.
1. Make a list
You can help avoid forgetting something your pet might need by making a list and checking it off as you pack. Your list could include food and water bowls (collapsible ones are great for travel!), food, treats, a few favorite toys, any medications your pet is taking, a leash, a collar, etc.
Also, remember to put an ID on that collar, which can be a big help if your pet gets lost while you’re travelling. If your pet has a microchip, be sure the registry has your current contact information.
2. Check ahead
Staying at a hotel? It’s a good idea to call in advance to confirm that they’re pet-friendly. You should also ask if there are any extra charges or specific restrictions for pet guests.
If you’re staying with friends or family, don’t assume they know your pet is coming with you. Let them know and ask them about any related issues, like household members with pet allergies, other pets in the home, or children who may be anxious around pets.
3. Consider pet travel services
Pet travel services, like Global Pet Plus, can help you plan your trip or deal with issues while you’re away from home. Their services are available to ASPCA Pet Health Insurance customers at no additional cost and include:
- • Concierge Services – From finding pet friendly hotels to arranging pet airport pick up, Global Pet Plus can help.
- • Veterinary Referrals – They can provide referrals for veterinarians or veterinary specialists in the area where you’re staying.
- • Prescription Assistance – Forgot your pet’s prescription at home? No problem. Global Pet Plus can provide assistance in getting it filled.
- • Missing Pet Help – If your pet gets lost or goes missing while you’re travelling, they can help connect you with local authorities and animal shelters with microchip reading services.
- • Emergency Transport Assistance – Global Pet Plus can arrange for ground transport if your pet needs emergency veterinary assistance in an area where a facility isn’t available within 100 miles.
You can call them 24/7 at 1-855-435-6057 or learn more at www.globalpetplus.com.
A little extra thought and planning can help make holiday travels with your pet smooth sailing!