When pet parents think of what can be poisonous to their dogs, the things that come to mind are usually chocolate, grapes, antifreeze – the usual suspects. However, it’s easy to overlook commonplace items like the plants we use to spruce up a room or to cultivate a vibrant yard.
While certain plants can be aesthetically pleasing, they can also cause a whole bunch of problems if your dog chows down on them. That’s why it’s important for pet parents to know which plants are toxic to dogs.
While this certainly isn’t an exhaustive list, the following are some of the more common plants that are toxic to our puppy pals and may be around our homes or found in the yard:
Popular during the spring holidays, this plant can cause vomiting, depression, diarrhea, excessive drooling, and tremors
Prevalent in many backyards, this common plant can cause vomiting, diarrhea, a drop in blood pressure, coma, and can even be life threatening
3. Bird of Paradise
Not to be confused with the less toxic Strelitzia reginae, this plant, if consumed, can cause oral irritation, excessive drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, and difficulty swallowing
A favorite of gardeners, this plant can cause vomiting, diarrhea, arrhythmia, and convulsions
This plant, if consumed, can cause excessive drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, depression, and weakness
Consumption can cause intense vomiting, diarrhea, depression, and tremors
Brightly colored but toxic, this plant can cause vomiting, depression, diarrhea, and other gastrointestinal disturbances
While the entirety of this plant is toxic, the rhizomes (underground stem) are most potent and, if ingested, this plant can cause vomiting, drooling, lethargy, and diarrhea
9. Calla Lily
If one of these uniquely shaped flowers is ingested, it can cause oral irritation, a burning sensation on the tongue and lips, excessive drooling, vomiting, and difficulty swallowing
10. Morning Glory
These cone-shaped flowers can cause vomiting and even hallucinations
It only takes consuming a few leaves to create a serious reaction, including excessive drooling, loss of appetite, diarrhea, colic, depression, weakness, stupor, paralysis, or worse – your dog may become comatose or even die
Even though the petals and leaves of this plant are not considered toxic and can be safe to chew on, if your pup actually eats the rose’s blossom or leaves, it can cause an upset stomach
Consumption can cause vomiting, a slow heart rate, incoordination, and depression, which can be hard to spot
14. Tomato plants
While the popular fruit produced by this plant isn’t poisonous, the plant itself is toxic to dogs and produces symptoms such as hypersalivation, severe upset stomach, depression, weakness, dilated pupils, and slow heart rate
Pretty but poisonous, the bulb of this plant, if ingested, can cause oral irritation, excessive drooling, and nausea
For a more complete list of plants that are toxic to dogs, check out this list compiled by our strategic partner the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals® (ASPCA®). For a Complete Coverage℠ plan for your pal, start your free quote now.
If your pal consumes something poisonous, a plant or other hazardous material, there are some telltale signs, as noted above, that will alert pet parents. Common symptoms of poison consumption include:
Severe symptoms often include:
- Extreme sedation
What You Should Do
If you believe your dog has consumed a poisonous plant – or anything poisonous for that matter – contact your veterinarian or an emergency clinic immediately. It can be helpful to the veterinarian if you know or can identify the plant your pooch ingested. If your dog vomited, bringing a sample with you may be beneficial for testing, analysis, and for determining the proper treatment.
While you are on your way to the veterinarian or emergency clinic, consider contacting the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435 for more information from poison control experts. The center offers a 24-hour emergency hotline.
Depending on the situation, treatment can go in a few different directions. While this can certainly be a scary situation, it’s in your – and your pooch’s – best interest to be calm and collected. If you act frantic or extremely distressed, it can have an adverse effect on your buddy.
Here are a few tips in case your dog eats a poisonous plant:
- Contact the vet immediately, as your dog may need to have their stomach pumped or to receive activated charcoal to bind the toxins
- Do not induce vomiting unless it’s recommended by your vet (vomiting can exacerbate the problem)
- Perform CPR if your dog is not breathing
The simple way to prevent pets from getting into poisonous plants is to keep the toxic ones out of your house and yard. However, even for the most vigilant pet parents, that can be easier said than done. Poisonous plants can find their way into our homes in bouquets and other floral gifts that often include baby’s breath. The tiny decorative flower, if eaten by a curious canine, can cause tummy troubles. So even when you’ve been extra careful, you can still bring hazards into the home with something as seemingly innocuous as a flower arrangement.
It’s also important to know what’s growing in your yard and to plan your landscaping accordingly.
When it comes to keeping your pooch away from poisonous plants, you can also consider:
- Pet-proofing your home by keeping any problem plants out of paw’s reach
- Limiting their access to the areas where you keep your plants
- Fencing off your landscaping and flower gardens
- Decorating with non-toxic or artificial plants
When it comes to our pets and the troubles they can get into, there is no surefire way to prevent all accidents and illnesses, which is where pet health insurance can help. An ASPCA Pet Health Insurance plan can help pet parents cover the costs for routine visits and emergency treatments. Start your coverage now with a free quote!