Skip navigation

15 Plants Toxic to Dogs [With Photos]

Share article on Facebook Share article on Pinterest Share article on Twitter (opens new window)
boxer dog sniffing a lavender plant

When pet parents think of what can be poisonous to their dogs, the things that come to mind are usually chocolate, grapes, antifreeze – the usual suspects. However, it’s easy to overlook commonplace items like the plants we use to spruce up a room or cultivate a vibrant yard.

While certain plants can be aesthetically pleasing, they can also cause a whole bunch of problems if your dog chows down on them. That’s why it’s essential for pet parents to know which indoor plants are toxic to dogs, in addition to outdoor plants as well.

Toxic Plants

While this certainly isn’t an exhaustive list of toxic plants for dogs, the following are some of the more common toxic plants that may be around our homes or found in the yard:

amaryllis flowers

1. Amaryllis

Popular during the spring holidays, this plant can cause vomiting, depression, diarrhea, excessive drooling, abdominal pain, anorexia, and tremors


azalea plant

2. Azalea

Prevalent in many backyards, this common plant can cause vomiting, diarrhea, a drop in blood pressure, weakness, cardiac failure, coma, and can even be life-threatening


Mexican bird of paradise plant

3. Bird of Paradise

Not to be confused with the less toxic Strelitzia reginae, this plant, if consumed, can cause oral irritation, excessive drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, mild nausea, drowsiness, and difficulty swallowing


Daffodils flowers

4. Daffodil

A favorite of gardeners, this plant can cause vomiting, hypersalvation, diarrhea, arrhythmia, convulsions, and low blood pressure


daisy flowers

5. Daisy

A common flower both in gardens and flower arrangements, if consumed, can cause vomiting, diarrhea, excessive drooling, incoordination, and dermal allergic reactions


Eucalyptus plant

6. Eucalyptus

This plant, if consumed, can cause excessive drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, depression, and weakness


Hyacinth plant

7. Hyacinth

Consumption can cause intense vomiting, diarrhea, depression, and tremors


Hyacinth plant

8. Hydrangea

Brightly colored but toxic, this plant can cause vomiting, depression, diarrhea, and other gastrointestinal disturbances


Iris stems

9. Iris

While the entirety of this plant is toxic, the rhizomes (underground stem) are most potent and, if ingested, this plant can cause vomiting, drooling, lethargy, and diarrhea


Calla Lilies

10. Calla Lily

If one of these uniquely shaped flowers is ingested, it can cause oral irritation, a burning sensation on the tongue and lips, excessive drooling, vomiting, and difficulty swallowing


Morning Glory flowers

11. Morning Glory

These cone-shaped flowers can cause vomiting and even hallucinations when large amounts are ingested


Rhododendrons plant

12. Rhododendron

It only takes consuming a few leaves to create a severe reaction, including excessive drooling, vomiting, loss of appetite, diarrhea, colic, depression, weakness, stupor, paralysis, cardiovascular collapse, or worse – your dog may become comatose or even die


Jade plant

13. Jade

The jade plant is toxic to dogs. Consumption can cause vomiting, a slow heart rate, incoordination, and depression, which can be hard to spot


Tomato plants

14. Tomato plants

Are tomato plants toxic to dogs? While the popular fruit produced by this plant isn’t poisonous, unripe tomatoes can still pose a danger. Plus, the plant itself is toxic to dogs. If consumed, symptoms produced can include: hypersalivation, severe upset stomach, depression, weakness, dilated pupils, and slow heart rate


Tulips plant

15. Tulip

Pretty but poisonous, the bulb of this plant, if ingested, can cause oral irritation, excessive drooling, and nausea


For a complete list of plants that are toxic to dogs, check out this list compiled by our strategic partner The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals® (ASPCA®).

Symptoms

If your pal consumes something poisonous, a plant, or other hazardous material, there are some telltale signs, as noted above, that will alert pet parents. Common symptoms of poison consumption include:

  • Lethargy
  • Weakness
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Drooling
  • Nausea

Severe symptoms often include:

  • Agitation
  • Extreme sedation
  • Seizures
  • Coma

What You Should Do

If you believe your dog has consumed a poisonous plant – or anything poisonous for that matter – contact your veterinarian or an emergency clinic immediately. It can be helpful to the veterinarian if you know or can identify the plant your pooch ingested. If your dog vomited, bringing a sample with you may be beneficial for testing, analysis, and determining the proper treatment.

While you are on your way to the veterinarian or emergency clinic, consider contacting ASPCA® Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435 for more information from poison control experts. The center offers a 24-hour emergency hotline.

grey weimaraner sniffing a plant

Treatment

Depending on the situation, treatment can go in a few different directions. While this can certainly be a scary situation, it’s in your – and your pup’s – best interest to be calm and collected. If you act frantic or extremely distressed, it can have an adverse effect on your buddy.

Here are a few tips in case your dog eats a poisonous plant:

  1. Contact the vet immediately, as your dog may need to be made to vomit or to receive activated charcoal to bind the toxins
  2. Do not induce vomiting unless it’s recommended by your vet (vomiting can exacerbate the problem)
  3. Perform CPR if your dog is not breathing

Prevention

The simple way to prevent pets from getting into poisonous plants is to keep the toxic ones out of your house and yard. However, even for the most vigilant pet parents, that can be easier said than done.

Poisonous plants can find their way into our homes in bouquets and other floral gifts that often include baby’s breath. The tiny decorative flower, if eaten by a curious canine, can cause tummy troubles. So even when you’ve been extra careful, you can still bring hazards into the home with something as seemingly innocuous as a flower arrangement.

It’s also important to know what’s growing in your yard and to plan your landscaping accordingly.

To help keep your best pal away from poisonous plants, you can also consider:

  • Pet-proofing your home by keeping any problem plants out of paw’s reach
  • Limiting their access to the areas where you keep your plants
  • Fencing off your landscaping and flower gardens
  • Decorating with non-toxic or artificial plants

There is no surefire way to prevent all accidents and illnesses when it comes to our pets and the troubles they can get into. This is why taking some precautionary measures and knowing what to do in an emergency is highly recommended for dog parents. By preparing yourself ahead of time, you will be more likely to remain cool, calm, and collected if an incident ever were to occur.

An ASPCA® Pet Health Insurance plan can help you with eligible costs for covered conditions like surgery expenses for accidents and help provide peace of mind that your pet can receive the care they need. Check out our online resources to learn more about your insurance options and get a free quote today. The information presented in this article is for educational and informational purposes only and does not constitute or substitute for the advice of your veterinarian.

(opens new window)

RELATED ARTICLES

close up of adult black tiffanie cat

Tiffanie Cat Facts

Learn all about the Tiffanie cat breed, including their history, personality, grooming needs, health needs, plus some fun facts.

READ MORE >

Symptoms of Arthritis in Dogs _ German Shepherd looking directly at the camera

Symptoms of Arthritis in Dogs

Don’t let arthritis slow your dog down! Learn about the signs of canine arthritis and treatment options that are available.

READ MORE >

sad calico cat lying on carpet

Do Cats Get the Flu

Cat flu is similar to the flu that people get—your cat can have watery eyes, a runny nose, lose their appetite, and be more tired than usual.

READ MORE >